Bachelor Of Early Childhood Education
Bachelor Of Early Childhood Education
Early Childhood Education
The Early Childhood Education programme is a 4 year programme terminating in a bachelors degree award. The programme offers students a flexible learning opportunity in that it provides for multiple entry and exit learning completion format. This means that students can enter at any point of the programme offer depending on prior learning and work experience. It also means that they can exit the programme at multiple points.
Students can study the early childhood education programme either at year 1,2 or 3. No entry is possible at year 4.These entry points depend on prior learning and or work experience. The basic entry requirement at year one is a local Malawi School Certificate of Education(MSCE) or its equivalent i.e KCE,IGCSE and or O-level and A level. This level requires credits in English and Mathematics. Prior learning means that a student may have attained either a certificate in education and or early childhood certificate or diploma. Applicants with a certificate in a requisite or education related area may be considered for advanced entry in year 2. Those holding a diploma in education or early childhood education and development may be considered for year 3 entry.
Due to a number of reasons, students may not be able to continue with their studies after enrollment. As such, the programme is designed to allow students to exit the programme upon completion of a year in which they have been registered. As indicated above in table 1, students who complete year 1 are awarded a certificate in early childhood education, while those who complete up to year 2,3 and 4 are awarded a diploma, an associate degree and a full degree respectively.
On full completion of each year, the student can exit the programme. Once the student is ready to return and continue with their studies, they will be registered in an advanced year contingent on completion of the previous years’ coursework and examinations for that particular year. That is, if the student completed successfully year 1 coursework and successfully passed all examinations for that year, on returning for to continue for the same programme, they will join in year 2
Mode and Structure of Learning
The early Childhood Education Programme is offered via three modes of learning namely generic, weekend and ODeL.
- Generic Learning Mode: Generic offering applies to Full Time(FT) and Full Time Equivalent(FTE) while weekend and ODel refers to those studying on part time basis.
- ODeL: The University of Lilongwe has been offering academic programmes through Open Distance and E-Learning (ODEL) and a blended mode of study since 2015; with the aim of creating wider access to University Education.
This blended mode of study caters for professionals from all walks of life and students to study away from the traditional brick and mortar classroomswithout interrupting their work and other important schedules.
UniLil recognizes that studying under ODEL mode of study requires self-sacrifice, hardwork and discipline and therefore strives to offer as much support as is practically possible.
The completion period for the ODEL programmes is 4-6 years.
Basic Structure of Learning
- Two Face to Face Session(Usually at the beginning of the semester and in the middle of the semester).Dates depend on semester calendar.
- Independent study period in which the student is expected to engage with the study material provided and submit assignments for each course.
- On Campus end of semester examinations.(Usually lasting 3-4 days)
In between the two face to face contact sessions, students can consult with respective course lecturers to be guided on progress of assignments and study materials.
- Child Development 1: (Prenatal and Infancy)
- Business Communication
- Educational Psychology
- Communication Skills
- Foods and Nutrition for Pre -School Children
- English for Academic Purposes I
- Philosophical Foundations Of Early Childhood Education
- Child Development 2: Early Childhood (3 – 6 Years)
- Reading in Early Childhood
- Health and Safety in the Preschool
- Guiding Young Children
- English for Academic Purpose II
- Curriculum Development for Preschool and school going age children
- Classroom Pedagogy
- Language Development
- Music For Preschool
- Maths and Science For Preschool
- Learning and Teaching
- Social Studies for Preschool
- Children with Special Needs
- Moral Education and Religion for Preschool
- Art and Craft For Pre-school
- Learning Mathematics
- Literature For Preschool
- Heath and Physical Education
- Instructional Media and Technology
- Instructional Resources Development
- Advanced English for Academics
- Motivation and Emotion
- Methods of Teaching Science
- Methods of Teaching Music
- Methods of Teaching Social Studies
- Methods of Teaching Physical Education (PE)
- Educational Research in Early Childhood Education
- Educational Statistics
- Computer Literacy
- Organization and Management of the Preschool
- Children’s Behaviour Problems
- Gender and Early Childhood Education
- Children at Risk and Early Childhood
- Child Advocacy in Early Childhood Education
- Teaching Practice
University of Lilongwe programs are designed to be affordable, saving-time and money. Tuition fees are calculated per semester. You can enroll in and agree with us on payment plan for as your studies progress.
Undergraduate Fees structure
All fees, including accommodation fees, must be paid using the following details;
Bank Name: UNIVERSITY OF LILONGWE
Branch: Gateway Mall
Swift code: NBMAMWMW
The payments can be paid Via MO626, online Banking or Bank deposit, payment proof should be sent to via whatsup on 0990166875 or email email@example.com
All fees indicated are applicable as of 2021.The fees maybe subject to change year by year.